Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Progress report

Last week was a very productive week for me, but that's about it.... my entire crew was sick! My sugar has pneumonia and is just now able to get through the day without fever. Poor Shipp has has gastroenteritis and an ear infection.  Somehow me and the girls made it out unscathed, thankfully. I did get to catch up on some painting and do some decorating. And we are finally ready to make the big move! The great thing about this move, which is totally different from any other time I have ever moved (and I've moved an awful lot in my life) is that we don't really need to pack everything carefully.  It's only going 10 miles so we can make as many trips as it takes. It's not really worth the effort to wrap and box everything neatly for such a short trip. I swear I thought we would move everything here one piece at a time according to necessity before we made it to this day....


The house is not finished yet, though. I still need to paint the floor in the girls' bathroom (which I can't do until we have another bathroom to use), stain the floor in the kitchen, master and mud/laundry room (floors are last), paint my closet (on my list this week), paint mud room/laundry room (no idea what to do yet), we have to finish the master bathroom (tile is underway), countertops  (next on list) and hang trim and base. Wow. All of the sudden I don't feel like I got as much done last week as I should have.....


I repainted the soffit in the kitchen. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked that other color!  I love the new color so much I used the extra paint in my tray to color wash the wall between the kitchen and dining area.  It's only about 3 ft wide and will eventually have the breakfast bar made of reclaimed wood attached where the lighter colored wood is. It was kind of scary to start, just knowing it wouldn't be easy to reverse if we didn't like it, but it really looks good.

I used about 3 to 1 parts satin finish latex paint (sorry, I can't remember the color, all I got was a sample) and water in my paint pan. I used a cheap brush to apply a few strokes of paint in about a 3 square foot area and rubbed it in with a wet paper towel and spread it evenly going with the grain. There is a rectangular section that needs some work where there used to be a phone mounted to the wall which left the wood lighter than the rest, and the part where the bar used to be attached and will be covered by the new bar soon. I love it!


Kitchen cabinets are painted - thank God.  Just need to rehang a few doors. I picked up some trim to try out adding to the door and drawer faces. It does need the crown at the top which will be one of the last things. 


Tile is looking amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment