Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Retiring the Recessed Florescent Light


It's been a while since I posted anything - maybe because I haven't been finishing many projects now that I don't have a deadline anymore post housewarming/birthday party..... I have been bouncing around from project to project not really getting very far on anything. This is the last project we completed about a month ago. I love it so much! It is really hard to take a picture of a light fixture where you can see it for the 4 super intense light bulbs when you have to have the light on to see it in the first place! Anyhow, here it is. 


finished kitchen recessed light
Here is the back story on this light.  The ceiling already had the recessed 4 ft by 4 ft light box (I guess you call it) with 2 florescent lights inside. Whoever put it in did a good job. The sheet rock was completely finished and textured with that oh so lovely glitter popcorn throughout. When we started talking about what to do with it the guys (David and Shipp) asked me if we were just going to cover it with sheet rock and go on with our lives. This is what it looked like before:


First of all I knew there was no way I could make the new drywall match the rest of the ceiling and even though we are going to remove the popcorn texture at some point we are not ready to do it now (because we would have to do the kitchen, dinning and living room at the same time - there is no threshold between these rooms) and I could not live with the ceiling not all matching. I also had a feeling I could find something cool to do here. I did some Pinterest searching and found this awesome trimmed out-tin tile-can light thing. I thought it would add some really cool detail to just a regular light fixture without adding a crazy light fixture. 



David did all of the work on this besides the painting. Bless his heart, he worked in the attic cutting through studs and beams for the can lights and wiring them in for a little over a day! Then the trim...... It was a doozy to say the least. The vertical walls of the recessed area were not square to the horizontal parts. He had to shim the base layer of trim so the corners would work without a case of caulk. We ended up using 1 inch thick pine lining the vertical side walls with 5 inch base first, then crown molding on the inside corners, then a decorative outside corner piece.  I got the tiles from Wayfair for super cheap. They are faux copper finish which will go really well with the chandelier that I found for above the sink - one day when it gets put in...... David did a great job and I just love it so much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment