Sunday, January 24, 2016

Old Window Repurpose







The first picture is my first window project. Old wood windows from my parent's house repurposed into wall decor. This was a Christmas present for my sister. Had it not been for that I would have reconsidered this project.... I need a cricut! It's doable, but tedious. I printed the words from a Word document in large font, one word per page. Then taped it to under side of window. I used a paint pen, fine tip, to trace the letters. And traced again. And again. The used acrylic paint to touch up and fill in the letters. I found a wood cross at Hobby Lobby and traced the outline into the front, then painted it with acrylic paint. This part I kind of ad lib-ed. The first  cross I scrapped off and repainted. Then the next day I added to it and ended up redoing it again. It took a little experimenting to get result I wanted. Then I sanded the frame and used Valspar Antiquing wax to add the brown effect, and the knobs are from hobby lobby. I'm not very artistic, so it was a very grueling learning process lol. My sister loved it and my sister in law wanted one so I did one for her also. The second one was easier, but it was still a lot of work. (That's the second image) I decided to do her frame darker so I used a darker turquoise color and painted black chalk paint over it. I left if outside in the carport to dry and the next morning the dew caused all of my paint on the glass to run..... I had to scrape it off and start over. I wanted to cry! I went with a totally different design for the next one (the third image). Most all of the third one is printed from Google images and traced the same way as the first window I did. The dandelion and music staff and notes I did free hand. I enjoyed that, actually.  And my sister in law loved it. After my mother in law saw them she got me a cricut for Christmas! Yay! Next ones will be much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment