Thursday, October 20, 2016

Patio Potting Bench

     Thank goodness for cooler weather! I have been so excited to start on the outside of the house, but it has been way too hot. I just couldn't wait anymore for cooler temperatures when I did this project and I have been inside in the air conditioner every since!  We got exterior paint last weekend and are planning to start that project first week of November...... Yay! 


     This is maybe one of my favorite projects! Because I planned and built it by myself! Okay, besides the plumbing- my honey did that. And he helped me sand the countertop boards some just because it took forever and he is such a gentleman....(sigh).  I looked at a drawing from pinterest to get a general idea of how it should look. Then I got out my tape measure, pencil and graph paper and drew out the dimensions. I measured the height and length of the window behind it and decided how tall I wanted the counter and put those measurements in place in the drawing. Then, I just went to work. I used 2x4's for everything except the horizontal surfaces. 


     
The counter top is some recycled tongue and groove wood that we pulled out of my dad's house. It is very old and most of the boards are bowed. I had a hard time getting them screwed down in some places. I found some chalky spray paint in some really cool colors and I got a little carried away with it I guess... I couldn't decide which one I liked the most lol.  Cutting the hole for the sink was the hardest part.  I traced the bottom of the tub where I wanted it and used a jig saw to cut out the circle. Actually I started the hole with a drill and a large drill bit just so I could get the jig saw blade in. Getting the hole right for the tub was the hardest part. David and I both cut on it and wrestled with it and cut some more. Eventually it came together. 


     Cut a hole in the tub (also a bit of a pain in the a#&), hole for the hose and some screw in hooks and it was ready for the master plumber! The water is supplied from a water hose that originates just around the corner. I tried out a few different ones and eventually decided on a metal fitting with a 45 degree curve to point the sprayer down into the sink.  There is a sink on the other side of the wall behind the bench so we just tied the drain into that one, worked out great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment