Monday, August 29, 2016

Laundry room

In this room I used pallet wood on the ceiling. There used to be a closet on each end, I tore one of them out which left a whole in the drywall on the ceiling. The popcorn texture is impossible to recreate, so I had to remove it. I am planning to go back one room at a time and remove it throughout the house, but I thought this would be a good place to start. It actually wasn't that hard. I used a gardening pressure sprayer (just a cheap one) to spray the ceiling with water.  Let it set for a few minutes, then use. Drywall knife to scrape the texture off. If it's wet enough it comes right off. It does require some prep work - hang plastic from the walls down and on the floor because it's a nightmare to clean up! My fiance, David, helped me cut the pallets apart with a reciprocating saw and metal cutting blade. I just left the nail heads in the boards. I stained them a weathered oak color mixed with provincial. I didn't sand the boards at all, I wanted them to he very rough looking. With a finishing nail gun I nailed the boards up just directly to the drywall. The pallet boards were light enough that they did not require any strips of wood to attach to between the rafters. I did not plan out the boards before putting them up. I just measured what length I needed and cut them to fit one board at a time. U found some 3/4 inch long boards in the barn that I ripped down to 2 1/5 inches with the table saw and stained to use for trim. David helped me cut out what we needed to for the light fixture and the new fixture screwed right to the pallet board. I painted the paneling in a light grey satin finish and the trim in gloss finish snow white. All of the signs I did myself on wood that I found in the barn. I'm pretty proud of this room, I did it mostly by myself. Including the cabinet for the laundry baskets. It was my first build!  No doors or sides,  just a frame and shelves. Painted and distressed with plywood top.  The French doors I found at an antique store. They are exactly the right height and fit together to cover the water heater. U used mod podge to glue scrap book paper over the widows so you can't see the water heater back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment